Monday, 27 August 2012

Salt Spring updates

Friday August 24th

Early morning send off, then we went and had a coffee in TJ Beans and breakfast at home.
After a quick check in with Ian about the whales - or lack of - we packed a picnic and drove down to Ruckle Park and walked out to your point. 

Great spot to while away a few hours with a book, a camera and a nutter who decided to have a swim!
After having a horrible little snake scare the life out of me, 

we set off for home again - via Fulford Harbour and the ice cream shop. We had a nice look around the shops there and took in Burgoyne bay on the way home but too hot to walk again so headed for the supermarket instead to buy beer!
We enjoyed Susan's crawfish with pasta and cold beer.

Saturday 25th

Lazy start to the day and a chat with Karen and Greg then off to the wonderful market. 
We had a great time mooching round there and Keith bought me a lovely necklace and earrings made from pressed flowers but didn't buy me a wonderful woven wool rug ($325!!).
Got lovely salad stuff and g/f breads and came back for lunch on the patio in the sunshine.

Then headed off towards Vesuvius for a little walk in the woods and down a steep path to a beach with huge logs that made lovely sunloungers for a few hours while we read our books and sunbathed. Mr Warren of course, couldn't resist the sea despite not having swimming trunks with him so went for a swim in his pants!! He said it was really warm and it can't have been too bad cos there were quite a lot of people in the sea too.
We walked it to town to the Tree House for dinner but the wait was over half an hour for a table so after a look around the gallery opposite we came back and went to Harbour View (?) hotel and had their yummy lamb burger and salad.

Sunday 26th

Keith went for an early morning run to Long Harbour and then we went to the Anglican church opposite, and it reminded us why we don't do Anglican anymore! So boring  - should have waited an hour and done the baptist one instead! Enjoyed watching the chickadee birds in their garden during the sermon though! Thankfully we managed to get away without anyone being friendly and came home for coffee and breakfast and a sleep cos I was really weary. Nearly fell asleep in church!
After coffee and cinnamon bun revival, we took off for a little walk near Southey Point. It was lovely through the woods and down to the sea shore but the tide was in high so we couldn't finish the circle cos you need to go along the shore line and can only do it at low tide. So, we went back same way and drove to the first part of Southey Point we visited and settled down with our books to read for a few hours, watching the sea for signs of life. Chatted with a couple heading out in a little boat who saw whales there earlier in the week (tuesday) and dolphins played round their boat last week! Then we were lucky to spot a sea otter and watched him for a while - he tried hard to climb into a moored yacht which was very funny! It was joined by another and we watched them for ages hunting out at sea. Then after being pelted with pine cones by a squirrel high in the tree we headed off and stopped to watch and photograph some lovely deer by the roadside. 
A quick visit to the supermarket and Mr Warren was all set to be chef for the night, making salmon, prawns(shrimps!) saute potatoes and veg. Very pleasant!
An evening spent uploading photos and lots of oooh and ahhhs especially at the seal pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment